Knafeh also known as Kunafa is a delicious Middle Eastern dessert made and presented in varied types.
Traditionally Knafeh is made out of Knafeh dough which is also known as kadaifi/kataifi/knefe/Kunafa/ Khunafae dough, depending on where you are in the world. It’s a soft, shredded, ultra-thin, vermicelli-like pastry, which is easily available in Turkish/Arabian or sometimes on Asian shops. Both fresh and frozen Knafeh can be used for this dessert. The dough gets filled with Nabulsi cheese and glazed with infused sugar syrup, garnished with pistachio or dry rose petals.
I am presenting the easiest version using the finest vermicelli and ricotta - mozzarella cheese which are very easily available in any local supermarkets. This layered dessert is very delicious and easy to make and serve.
Let's get started with the quickest version of Knafeh.
Fine Vermicelli - 500 gms
Unsalted butter - 100 gms
Yellow food color - ½ tsp (Optional)
Ricotta cheese - 250 gms
Grated Mozzarella cheese - 100 gms
Sugar - 1 Cup
Water- 1 Cup
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Finely Chopped Pistachio
Finely Chopped Almonds (optional)
1. Prepare the oven by preheating it at 180 C for 5 -10 mins.
2. Mix butter with the finest version of vermicelli. Yellow food color can be added at this point to enhance the color. Divide it in equal halves. Make a thin layer of Vermicelli of one half and press it into the bottom of the cake tin or any Oven safe glass dish.
3. Add the layer of Ricotta cheese and spread it well with spatula.
4. Add another layer of Mozzarella cheese spread it well.
5. Add the final layer of remaining half of vermicelli.
6. Bake it in a preheated oven until the vermicelli turns brown for about 10-15 mins depend on the temperature of your oven.
7. While the Knafeh is baking, we will prepare the sugar syrup:
Combine the water and sugar and give it a good boil.
Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the lemon juice. Simmer, stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. (Do not let the mixture turn golden and caramelize.)
Few drops of lemon juice and Cardamom powder can be added at this point to the sugar syrup.
Remove from the heat and keep it aside
8. By then your Knafeh is ready to be out of the oven. Pour the sugar syrup over the Knafeh.
9. Garnish it with finely chopped Pistachio. Cut into pieces to serve while hot.
Now enjoy delicious Knafeh.
Do share your experience, I would love to see how you get along.
Feel free to share with us using #dorydiary or in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for the upcoming recipes!!
Thanks for reading !! Have a wonderful day!!